Wayne's current project is called the Kiosk Kiosk pop up retail space. Sick of the high street stores taking over every creative hub in the city Wayne set about designing the Kiosk concept with Boris Johnson(loony mayor of London). The Kiosk concept is all about bringing back spaces of creativity and beacons of energy to our streets. You don't planning permission for these kiosks, they can be plopped anywhere.
- Rent of shops in Covent garden rose from 600 pounds a week to 4200 a week. Its hard for creative start ups to lease stores in expensive locations.
- Pop up shop concept has been a success in Japan
- Kiosks in London sell touristy things and ice cream and faker footballer shirts in ugly green kiosks.
- Council can profit from it and lease it to locals
- Creativity makes things exciting: Wayne wants to bring t he serendipity back in shopping
- 60,000 student applied for a kiosk. They had products and wanted a space.
- Kiosks would rent for 400 a week.
- Started Red or Dead Label with wife Geraldine in 1982.
- Having no money for rent they went to sell their second hand clothes and Geraldine's sewn clothes at Camden Market. They sold it all in the first day.
- They sold through Kensington Market and had their first huge order by Macy's.
- Don't need to be a designer to understand quality of life.
- They have come from the mass market and design for it.
- He didn't talk the language, he didn't draw, felt inferior to all designers.
- Design is about making things better, and wanting to change things for the better.
- He buys the Economist and Business week to know more about livability.
- Wayne is warm, funny, humble.
- He joyously explained that anyone can be a designer for a better quality of life
- As a designer you must have another existing principle other than design. Its the essence of your brand;your purpose.
- It is important to give back to your community and create channels for other people to give back as well.
- A label is not just about the person but about the team behind it.